DALF C2 listening and speaking test
Presentation and proceedings of DALF C2 listening and speaking test
- listening and speaking,
- reading and writing.
DALF C2 listening and speaking test lasts 30 minutes and is in three parts: a write-up the contents of a recording, a personal development based on the problem given in the instruction and a debate with the examiners. The candidate will be asked to draw two subjects and choose one of the two topics. Then, he will have an hour to prepare the chosen subject. He will have to present the audio document (from 5 to 10 minutes), then to express his argumentative point of view from the chosen subject and then to debate with the examiners (about 10 minutes).
Please note that for the DALF C2 listening and speaking test, the use of a monolingual (in a single language) dictionary in French is authorized. It is the DELF-DALF examination centre that provides candidates with monolingual dictionaries.
DALF C2 listening and speaking test is on 50 points. This is half of the total mark of DALF C2 which is on 100. The other test (reading and writing) is also on 50 points. To get the diploma, you must have 50/100 minimum and get a minimum of 10/50 at each skill. If you get under 10 at one skill, it is a eliminatory mark even if you get 50/100 minimum at all. For example, if you get a total mark of 58/100 but you have 9/50 at one skill, you are eliminated. and you do not get the diploma.
Video of an example of DALF C2 speaking test
The video below is an example of DALF C2 oral production. The candidate chose the subject of the first example of this page: http://delfdalf.fr/dalf-c2-sample-papers.html
1st part of DALF C2 speaking test, followed monologue: presentation of the document
Here, the candidate must present, in 5 to 10 minutes, the content of the audio document. He will be careful to take up all the information and points of view expressed in an order and in logical and efficient structure that will facilitate listening for the recipient.
This part is scored on 9 points (4.5 points x 2) out of the 50 points assigned to DALF C2 listening and speaking test. For this part, there are two assessment criteria:
1) Peut restituer l’ensemble des informations importantes et des points de vue exprimés sans les altérer (règle d’objectivité, fidélité et précision) et si nécessaire répondre à des demandes de précision ou d’explication. (Can retrieve all the important information and points of view expressed without altering them (rule of objectivity, fidelity and precision and if necessary respond to requests for clarification or explanation.) = 3 points x 2 = 6 points.
2) Peut organiser son discours selon une structure logique et efficace qui facilite l’écoute pour le destinataire. (Can organize his speech according to a logical and effective structure that facilitates listening for the recipient.) = 1.5 point x 2 = 3 points.
2nd part of DALF C2 speaking test, followed monologue: presentation of an argumentative point of view
This part is scored on 10 points (5 points x 2) out of the 50 points assigned to DALF C2 listening and speaking test. For this part, there are three assessment criteria:
1) La production est en adéquation avec le sujet et la situation proposés. (The production is in line with the proposed subject and situation.) = 1 point x 2 = 2 points.
2) Peut élaborer une réflexion personnelle en s’appuyant sur des arguments principaux et secondaires et sur des exemples pertinents. (Can develop a personal thinking based on key and secondary arguments and relevant examples.) = 2.5 points x 2 = 5 points.
3) Peut produire un discours élaboré, limpide et fluide avec une structure logique et efficace qui aide le destinataire à remarquer les points importants. (Can produce an elaborate, clear and fluid speech with a logical and efficient structure that helps the recipient to notice important points.) = 1.5 point x 2 = 3 points.
3rd part of DALF C2 speaking test, interactive exercise: debate
This part is scored on 6 points (3 points x 2) out of the 50 points assigned to DALF C2 listening and speaking test. For this part, there are two assessment criteria:
1) Peut facilement préciser et nuancer sa position en répondant aux questions, commentaires et contre-arguments. (Can easily clarify and nuance his position by answering questions, comments and counter-arguments.) = 1.5 point x 2 = 3 points.
2) Peut faciliter le développement de la discussion en recentrant ou en élargissant le débat, en rebondissant sur les propos de l’interlocuteur. (Can facilitate the development of the discussion by refocusing or broadening the debate, bouncing back on the speaker’s words.) = 1.5 point x 2 = 3 points.
Assessment of vocabulary, grammar and pronunciation of DALF C2 listening and speaking test
As we saw above, the three parts of the DALF C2 listening and speaking test are on 25 points on the 50 points of the DALF C2 listening and speaking test. To be simple, the assessment criteria of those three parts correspond with practical, pragmatic skills. The 25 points left are assessed on the language control: lexicon (vocabulary), morphosyntax (grammar), phonological system (pronunciation) and for the whole two parts. The assessment criteria are:
1) Lexicon (vocabulary range and accuracy): possède un vaste répertoire lexical autorisant une grande souplesse pour reformuler ou nuancer les idées. Utilisation constamment appropriée du vocabulaire. (Has an extensive lexical repertoire that allows for great flexibility in reformulating or nuancing ideas. Consistently appropriate use of vocabulary.) = 4.5 points x 2 = 9 points.
2) Morphosyntax: maintient un haut degré de correction grammaticale. Fait preuve d’une grande souplesse dans les constructions utilisées et peut nuancer, préciser, modaliser. (maintains a high degree of grammatical correction. Demonstrates great flexibility in the constructions used and can nuance, specify, modalize.) = 5 points x 2 = 10 points.
3) Control of the phonological system: a acquis une intonation et une prononciation claires et naturelles (l’accent éventuel ne gêne en rien l’échange). Peut varier l'intonation et mettre en relief certains mots pour exprimer de fines nuances de sens et / ou mobiliser l’attention de l’interlocuteur. (Has acquired a clear and natural intonation and pronunciation (the possible accent does not hinder the exchange). Can vary intonation and highlight certain words to express fine nuances of meaning and/or to mobilize the interlocutor’s attention.) = 3 points x 2 = 6 points.
Further information on DALF C2 listening and speaking test
We recommend that you work on the last version of the DALF C2 speaking test assessment grid. We advise you to study this assessment grid, because it is on it that you will be assessed and marked. So, if you well control the assessment criteria and you fit them well, you will get the maximum of points.
You can also consult our book recommendations to prepare for the DALF C2.